Check out some of our favorite quotes about travel. The road awaits!
1. "Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world." - Gustave Flaubert
Not only does traveling provide perspective on the immensity of our planet and the diversity of its inhabitants, it also makes us more aware of those less fortunate than ourselves who don't get to enjoy the comforts and luxuries that so many take for granted.
Travel not only makes us modest, it makes us grateful! We should all remember to reflect on that when we go somewhere new.
2. "Traveling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller." - Ibn Battuta
Ibn Battuta was an esteemed Muslim scholar and traveler of the 14th century, who hailed from Tangiers in Morocco. Having journeyed as far afield as China, he surely knew what he was talking about.
Experiences, memories, and stories - those are the priceless commodities that come with each and every trip. You not only leave your destination having had an amazing time, you leave with an abundance of stories you'll be telling for the rest of your life. You'll love having interesting stories to share with others, and other people will love listening to them!
3. "The journey not the arrival matters." - T.S. Eliot
Things don't always go according to plan when we travel, but it's important to remember that the entire journey is what makes the trip worthwhile. Appreciate the little things, focus on the positive, and let the negativity fall by the wayside.
4. "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home." - James Michener
The point in traveling is having adventures and trying new things, so we can't forget to have an open mind! We don't need to become citizens, adopt the local religion, or become BFFs with everyone we meet. But if we take what we can from everything, we come home so much richer than when we left. Trips often come and go too quickly, but a positive outlook guarantees that we'll make discoveries that will last a lifetime.
5. "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Augustine of Hippo
Wise words from the 4th century theologian and philosopher.
Not everyone values travel in the same way, but to ignore it altogether is to miss out on an integral part of life. No one's saying not to love your local community or to be a homebody every now and then. But we must take the opportunity to grow by trying to see beyond our horizons. Read the whole book; it's a great story!
6. "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
We all have our comfort zones, and there certainly needs to be some thought given for the morrow when sojourning abroad. But why not check out somewhere new instead of traveling to a place you've been multiple times before? You might have a favorite movie, but watching it over and over again robs you of the opportunity to find new movies you love too!
7. "Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Wanderlust isn't just a popular tattoo, it's a state of mind. Not everything needs to be planned out in microscopic detail; sometimes it's best to arrive in a new place and simply see what there is to see. You might end up having an adventure, meeting someone, or eating somewhere you otherwise would have missed.
Sometimes schedules can be a burden, so maybe leave a day or two of your next trip open to simply go where the wind takes you.
8. "I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them." - Mark Twain
Many of us have had the experience of an awkward vacation with someone - a friend, a romantic partner, a colleague. But traveling with our close friends or family can also be an enriching experience. Life and memories are meant to be shared.
9. "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." - Andre Gide
We all get a little homesick sometimes, but travel is about embracing new opportunities and adventures while knowing that home will be waiting for us when we get back. Don't spend too much time missing home or you might miss out on an otherwise fantastic vacation!
10. "Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain." - Jack Kerouac
Have you ever said, "I'll do it later"? Travel is not something you want to say that about. What happens to the dream deferred?
Some people put travel off until they have the job, the family, the kids are off at school, the grandkids have arrived, etc., etc. But if you don't make time for travel, it might never happen.
Traveling can shape the type of person you are and make you a fuller version of yourself, so don't rob the people in your life of getting to know the best you that they can!