2020 was not the year that travel enthusiasts — or anyone for that matter — asked for, but it was the hand that was dealt. Despite all that the year threw our way, TravelAwaits’ readers found solace in finding new ways to explore favorite destinations virtually while planning ahead for future travel. Here are the most popular travel stories as determined by you, our readers. As we look back at 2020, we are all the more excited to see what fascinating experiences are around the corner in 2021!
25. The 15 Tastiest Ice Cream Shops In The U.S.
Ice cream tastes great any time of the year. Here are our writers’ picks for the best ice cream shops across the U.S.
24. Classic Texas Road Trip: Dallas To Amarillo
Everything is bigger in Texas, and the road trips are no exception. So fuel up your car and enjoy our picks for the best stops during a classic road trip between Dallas and Amarillo.
23. 7 Must-Try Restaurants In Omaha, Nebraska
Omaha is home to more than great steak, so don’t miss these unique restaurants during your next trip to eastern Nebraska.
22. The Best Things To Do In Beautiful Lake George
Nestled in Adirondack Park in Upstate New York, don’t miss Lake George and enjoy not only the lake but all that the beautiful town has to offer.
21. 11 Must-See Spots In Sedona
The natural beauty of this area is enough to stop anyone dead in their tracks. We are here to help! Here are our picks for the must-see stops during your next trip to Sedona.
20. The 9 Most Stunning Hikes In Colorado
Nearly 85 million nature lovers and tourists visit Colorado each year to enjoy its rugged, natural beauty. Read our picks for the nine most stunning hikes across colorful Colorado to explore all that it has to offer.
19. How Portugal Stole Our Hearts
As the saying goes, “good things come in small packages,” and this is certainly true in reference to the small coastal European nation of Portugal. Read the story of how Portugal stole the hearts of our writers Sue and Diana during their adventures.
18. The 14 Most Scenic Drives In The U.S.
2020 was a great year to take a drive and enjoy the beautiful scenery that tends to be taken for granted otherwise. Did your favorite drive make our list of the most scenic byways in the U.S.?
17. Epic Florida Road Trip: Miami To Key West
This year our readers were excited to take on the architectural marvel that is the Overseas Highway connecting Miami and the rest of southern Florida with Key West. Take a look at our choices for the best stops on this epic road trip.
16. 5 Reasons To Spend 72 Hours In Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Home to less than 3,000 residents, the village of Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland, is flanked by the majestic Alps creating a storybook ambiance. Here are five reasons to spend at least 72 hours in this serene village.
15. 9 Reasons To Make Rosemary Beach, Florida Your Next Getaway
If you haven’t heard of it before, you need to read our nine reasons to make Rosemary Beach your next Florida getaway. It is too good to miss out on!
14. Everything You Wanted To Know About Being A Naturist But Were Afraid To Ask
Chris Moore, one of our writers, recently sat down to provide answers to all of the pressing questions you have ever had about nude travel as a means of reducing the stigma associated with it. Read his engaging thoughts on naturism.
13. 7 National Parks And Monuments You Might Not Know About, But Should
If you are looking to take in the beauty of the U.S. National Park system but don’t want to fight the crowds, try these 7 lesser-known National Parks and Monuments to satisfy your appetite for natural beauty.
12. Revealing The Secret Behind Covao Dos Conchos
This other-worldly sight can be found in the mountains of Portugal. Learn more about the secrets of Covao Dos Conchos here.
11. The Best Hikes In All 50 States
2020 was the year for enjoying the great outdoors, and our team of writers compiled a list of the best hikes in each of the 50 states. Did your favorite make the list?
10. Best Sea Glass Beaches In The World
If you have never observed sea glass in person — or just want to learn what it is — here are 10 of the best places around the world to discover this enchanting treasure.
9. 4 Quaint Towns In Eastern Pennsylvania You Must Visit
The Pennsylvania countryside is something to behold, so don’t let Philadelphia consume all of your time; make time for these four quaint Eastern Pennsylvania towns!
8. The 6 Most Incredible Beaches In National Parks
If “beaches” don’t come to mind when you think of the National Park system, you are missing out! Here are our six favorite beaches from across the country that happen to be in national parks.
7. 10 Must-Visit Quaint Towns In Upstate New York
The contrast between NYC and Upstate is significant, and you would be remiss if you did not venture out and explore these 10 must-visit small towns in Upstate New York.
6. 11 Colorado Towns That Feel Like You’re In A Hallmark Christmas Movie
Snowfall is a quintessential Christmas ingredient in the eyes of many, and when paired with the backdrop of the mountains, these Colorado towns will make you feel like you are in a Hallmark Christmas movie.
5. I Finally Flew Business Class On An International Flight, But I Wouldn’t Do It Again
Ruth Murdoch, an avid traveler and blogger, shares her experience of flying business class for the first time on a long international flight — and why she claims she wouldn’t do it again.
4. The Top Five National Parks You Must Visit, According To RVers
RVshare released their list of the most popular National Parks based on the habits of RV travelers across the country. Number five might surprise you!
3. 7 Interesting Things To Know About Devils Tower
Did you know that Devils Tower was the first official National Monument? Read here to learn even more about this national treasure and how you too can visit this much-photographed wonder.
2. 10 Pennsylvania Towns That Feel Like You’re In A Hallmark Christmas Movie
Nestled between Pittsburgh in the west and Philadelphia in the east, small-town central PA feels like home. As you stroll down Main Street in these 10 Pennsylvania towns, you will swear you have stepped on to the set of a Hallmark Christmas movie.
1. 11 Reasons To Visit The Adorable Town Where Hallmark Christmas Movies Are Filmed
Once you have gotten your fill of all the great Christmas towns in Pennsylvania, head north of the border and explore one adorable town where Hallmark films many of its beloved Christmas movies.
Thank you for journeying with us this year, and don’t forget to check back daily for travel inspiration and news! We look forward to the new adventures that await you and our writers in 2021.