The sun is out and summer is here, which means that it’s time to pack your bags for the beach. Dr. Beach -- Stephen P. Leatherman, Ph.D., director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University -- has released his 2019 list of the top 10 beaches to visit if you’re in the mood for soft sand between your toes and clear blue waters.
This year, first place went to Kailua Beach Park in Oahu, Hawaii. With its white sand and manageable waves, this beach makes the perfect summer getaway. Head out to the crystal blue waters for a relaxing swim, or take a kayaking trip with friends and family. Up for an adventure? You can go farther south and explore the famous Mokulua Islands, or you could travel to Flat Island, another great place to swim and kayak. Not far from the beach is the Kailua Village, where you can grab a snack after you’re done experiencing all that the beach has to offer.
This is the second year in a row that Hawaii has snagged the number-one spot on Dr. Beach’s list. In 2018, Kapalua Bay Beach in Maui, Hawaii, took home the prize.
How are these beaches ranked, and what factors determine their spots? Dr. Beach’s decisions are based on a list of 50 different criteria. The criteria range from the softness of the sand to the amenities that are included. The list also takes safety into account; beaches in low-crime areas where numerous lifeguards are present receive better marks. Each beach is ranked on a scale of one to five, with five being the best and one being the worst.
Interested in seeing how some of the top beaches ranked this year? Check out the top 10 list for 2019 below.
Top 10 Beaches In 2019
10. Kiawah Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
9. Coronado Central Beach, Coronado, California
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Waimea, Hawaii
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin, Florida
6. Coast Guard Beach, Eastham, Massachusetts
5. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
3. Grayton Beach State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Ocracoke, North Carolina
1. Kailua Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
Curious as to how the 2019 list compares with the 2018 list? No worries -- we’ve listed 2018’s top 10 beaches below.