Amtrak is making moves to entice large groups to travel by train on their next getaway.
Amtrak has enhanced its Share Fare program so that the more people traveling together, the lower the cost will be for everyone.
“Amtrak Share Fares make it easy to bring the whole crew by helping you save with each plus one,” the company said. “The more family, friends, loved ones you bring, the more you all save.”
The discounts begin once groups of three people book the same itineraries. They continue to get better with each additional person, reaching the biggest discount of 60 percent off for groups of eight or more.
To receive the special fares, all passengers must travel together and have tickets issued together. Bookings must be made at least 2 days in advance of the trip.
The sliding scale begins with a 17 percent discount for all tickets accommodating groups of three people. It then jumps to 30 percent for four people, 39 percent for five, 47 percent for six, 54 percent for seven, and 60 percent for eight or more.
Share Fare deals are available across the country on coach and Acela business class bookings by using promo code V291.
An example of how much the discounts help, a trip from New York to Washington costs $31 with the regular fare. But if eight or more people book together, the fare drops to just $12.40.
Other examples include Seattle to Portland, dropping from $28 to $11.20; St. Louis to Kansas City, from $36 to $14.40; or Chicago to Detroit, from $40 to $16.
Amtrak notes that no upgrades are allowed and Share Fares cannot be combined with other discounts. Sale prices are also not available on every route or every available time.
The fares are available on the following routes:
- Northeast (Washington-Baltimore-Philadelphia-New York-Boston)
- Virginia (Richmond-Norfolk-Roanoke)
- California (San Francisco Bay Area-Sacramento and Southern California stations-Bakersfield)
- Illinois (Chicago-Quincy-St. Louis- Carbondale)
- Maine (Brunswick-Portland-Boston)
- Michigan (Pontiac-Detroit/Port Huron-Grand Rapids/East Lansing-Chicago)
- Missouri (St. Louis-Jefferson City-Kansas City)
- New York (New York-Albany-Syracuse-Rochester-Buffalo-Niagara Falls)
- North Carolina (Charlotte-Raleigh-Richmond-New York)
- Oklahoma/Texas (Oklahoma City-Fort Worth)
- Vermont (Burlington-Rutland-Albany-New York and St. Albans-Burlington-Springfield-New York-Washington)
- Washington/Oregon (Seattle-Tacoma-Portland-Salme-Eugene)
To book any trip using the Share Fare program, check it out here.
For more Amtrak travel experiences, be sure to read: