The Best Kids’ Luggage
This designer-look rolling duffel, an Amazon bestseller with over 3,000 five-star reviews, comes in more than a dozen colors that will delight kids–and whoever else waiting at the luggage carousel, too. The selection of sizes means a piece of luggage that’s perfect for children from elementary schoolers to teens, and eight pockets mean well-organized packing and easy access to whatever you or your kiddos need to grab quickly.
The high-tech in-line skate wheels ensure a smoother stroll through the airport, while a retractable handle that zips away minimizes wear and tear.
Olympia’s duffel bag is an excellent tried-and-true option for travelers who want to buy luggage that is made to last.
- Comes in variety of sizes and colors
- Excellent organization potential with pockets galore
- Lots of storage
- Very grown-up looking
- Duffel style isn’t preferred by all travelers
- Polyester might show wear and tear with heavy use
- Eight convenient pockets
- Made of durable “Protecflon” polyester
- Recessed in-line skate wheels
- Retractable, protected handle
- Multiple sizes and colors
- Brand: Olympia
- Dimensions: 22 x 12 x 12; 5.1 pounds (smallest size)
The only thing more magical than Walt Disney World is American Tourister’s adorable Disney-themed luggage.
The set comes with a 21’’ carry-on and 28’’ suitcase so your little one can have something to take on the plane with them as well as a suitcase for longer trips. You can also buy the pieces separately if that better suits your needs. The expandable luggage is great for long trips or storing souvenirs from the journey!
Your child can choose from five adorable Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse themed designs. As if the cuteness wasn’t enough as is, the set also comes with a Disney luggage tag your little one will want to take everywhere.
- Adorable designs
- Multiple pockets for increased organization
- 10 year warranty
- Polyester fabric might show wear and tear with age
- The smaller suitcase only meets carry-on requirements for some airlines
- On the pricier side
- Soft fabric with adorable Mickey or Minnie Mouse designs
- 21″ carry-on, 28″ checked bag available separately or as a set
- Four multi-directional spinner wheels
- Beveled push button retractable handle
- Multiple interior pockets
- Select designs feature exterior pockets
- 10 year limited warranty
- Brand: American Tourister
- Dimensions (21″): 21 x 14.75 x 9.5 inches; 6.8 pounds
- Dimensions (28″): 28 x 19.75 x 12 inches; 11.72 pounds
Rockland’s two-piece set is perfect for the little traveler that either has a lot to bring, or wants to match who they’re traveling with.
The two-piece set comes with a 14’’ tote that makes for a perfect carry-on as well as a 19’’ suitcase. The set comes in 36 patterns and colors for any age or personality! If you’re buying for a kiddo, they’ll love the vibrant owl pattern or funky animal prints. Rockland has plenty of neutral colors to choose from if you prefer a more timeless set.
The 14’’ tote has handles and a strap for easy-breezy carrying and zippers for organization. The 19’’ suitcase can fit all the essentials a little kiddo needs, plus there are two zippers on the front and three pockets inside to keep everything in tip-top shape.
The Rockland two-piece set is a match made in heaven for travelers who like to stay organized while also having two types of luggage for two different occasions.
- Affordable, two-piece set
- Tons of color combinations to choose from
- Facilitates excellent organization
- The wheels don’t have 360 spinning capability
- Set might be more luggage than needed
- Telescoping handle and in-line skate on suitcase
- Adjustable non-slip shoulder strap on tote bag
- Padded top and side grip handles
- Multiple zipper secured pockets
- Internal pockets for organization
- 36 colors and patterns to choose from
- Brand: Fox Luggage
- Dimensions (tote): 11 x 14 x 5.5 inches; 6 pounds
- Dimensions (suitcase): 19 x 13 x 7.5 inches; 1 pound
The littlest up-and-moving travelers will be all about the animal-inspired Zoo Luggage from family favorite Skip Hop. Go for the classic monkey (complete with tiny bananas on the zipper pulls), or select from a host of other characters with equally thoughtful details. These wheelie bags boast 800+ five-star reviews on Amazon from buyers who say they live up to the hype and that kids love them.
In addition to being the perfect size for preschoolers and early graders to manage on their own, Skip Hop’s kids luggage with wheels invites you to get matchy with backpacks and other travel accessories. Note that these roller bags are approximately adult backpack size, so the bulk of your kiddos travel gear may need to wind up in a checked bag if they deem this their carry-on.
- Perfect size for younger children
- Undeniably cute
- Additional, themed products available for purchase
- Small–the majority of essentials will have to be packed elsewhere
- No internal pockets or organization
- Children will grow out of this luggage quickly
- Mesh side pocket perfect for keeping a beverage handy
- Crafted details including themed zipper pulls
- Made of durable poly-canvas fabric
- BPA-free and Phthalate-free
- Brand: Skip Hop
- Dimensions: 7 x 12.5 x 18 inches; 1.76 pounds
AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner Luggage is a suitcase that is built to last. It is made with a scratch-resistant hard shell that can handle being dropped, thrown around, and still stand tall at the baggage claim. It’s practically kid-proof.
The suitcase comes in a variety of sizes, but the 21″ carry-on side is the perfect size for little ones. Or, order the 2- or 3-piece set for the whole family to use!
Able to expand up to 15% for more storage to stash even more belongings, this luggage is perfect for growing kiddos with growing traveling needs.
- Extremely durable material
- Four spinner wheels allows for easy pushing or pulling
- Lots of storage to pack all the little one’s necessities
- Heavier option than other items on list
- No exterior pockets
- No kid-specific colors or designs could be a pro or con
- Extra-thick ABS scratch-resistant hard shell
- 150D-polyester lined interior complete with 3 divider and 3 zippered pockets
- Telescoping handle
- Four double spinner wheels
- Expandable up to 15%
- Variety of color and size options
- Brand: AmazonBasics
- Dimensions (including wheels): 14.9 x 10 x 21.6 inches; 7.34 pounds
If you are on the lookout for luggage for your little one, maybe also consider investing in luggage the whole family will love.
With Coolife’s luggage set in 3- or 4- pieces, you will have storage for everyone and every adventure. The sets come with a 20’’, 24’’, and 28’’ suitcase, the 4-piece featuring a 16″ suitcase, for everyone in the family to share. While you’re waiting for your next adventure to start, you can internally stack the set, making storage efficient.
The 16″ or 20’’ suitcase is the right size for a kiddo who doesn’t need to pack a ton, but still needs space to put their belongings.
The sets come in a plethora of colors, some bright, some neutral. You’ll never have to worry about losing track of your family’s luggage again since each suitcase comes in an identical color!
If you travel quite a bit, you’ll find comfort in this set because each suitcase has a 3-digit TSA-approved lock to stow away your belongings with the reassurance it won’t be going anywhere.
- 3 digit TSA-approved lock that gives you peace of mind
- Great for the whole family to have recognizable luggage
- Durable material
- This set is only necessary if you’re looking for luggage for the whole family
- Not expandable
- Could have more interior pockets
- 100% ABS exterior shell
- Four 360 degree silent spinner wheels
- Ergonomic aluminum telescoping handle
- Lined interior with zippered, mesh pocket
- Built-in 3-digit TSA lock
- 3- or 4-piece set
- Two year warranty
- Dimensions (16″): 12.75 x 8.25 x 19 inches; 4.7 pounds
- Dimensions (20″): 15.5 x 9.25 x 22.5 inches; 6.3 pounds
- Dimensions (24″): 18.25 x 10.25 x 26.5 inches; 7.9 pounds
- Dimensions (28″): 20.75 x 11.75 x 30.25 inches; 10 pounds
Kids’ Luggage Buying Guide
When on the hunt for luggage, you’re probably prioritizing price and functionality. When you throw kiddos in the mix, you might want to focus on price, function, and cuteness. In order to find the right luggage for your little loved ones, we compiled a list of things to keep in mind during your selection process.
Opportunity for growth
Little ones won’t be little forever. When in the process of looking for luggage for a kiddo, remember to think about the potential for them to grow with the luggage, not outgrow it. A four-year-old might love a neon pink suitcase with unicorns, but an eight-year-old might not. Unless you’re nonstop traveling the world, remember that luggage is an investment that is supposed to last a long time. So, maybe swap the rainbow suitcase of your four-year-old’s dreams for something still cute with a more timeless design! Or, if you have lots of little ones in the family, then bright unicorn luggage can be passed down from child to child.
It’s nice to have options when you’re packing for a little one. Assuming they will want to bring a stuffed animal, coloring book, iPad, and other activities for a long flight or car ride, it’s a good idea to buy larger luggage to accommodate all their goodies. Also, the bigger the luggage, the more likely your little one will be able to use it for longer trips or as they age. Then again, it can be nice for the little one to move their own bag, especially when you already have your hands full, so consider the size option best suited to your needs.
The great debate in the luggage world is over spinners and rollers. Spinner luggage has four free-spinning 360 wheels. You can roll a spinner while it’s standing upright and spin it any which way without the wheels putting up resistance. The spinner is easier to maneuver, feels lighter, and the wheels don’t get caught and stuck. Spinners are great for flat terrain, but if you’re looking for more durability, you’re best off with the other kind, a roller. Who is rolling the bag, you or the little one, should also be considered when choosing between the two.
Each bag is different. For a duffel, it’s likely you’ll only have a shoulder strap and maybe a handle. For good quality upright luggage, there’s a variety of ways to grab onto your luggage, like a primary telescoping handle–just a fancy name for an extendable handle–as well as fixed handles on the top and sides. Though it’s not necessary to purchase luggage with an abundance of handles, it’s definitely nice to have options, especially when you’re busy and your hands will probably be full if you’re traveling with little ones. It’s also important to keep in mind who will be carrying this luggage the most–you or the kiddo–and what is easiest for the appropriate party.
Traveling isn’t always roses and daisies. If you’re flying, we can only hope your luggage is being treated with care and compassion, but you can never know for sure. To invest your money in the right place, it’s a good idea to choose the material of the exterior of your luggage wisely. There are undeniable benefits to hard and soft shell luggage, but since we’re talking about luggage for kiddos, you might want to consider kid-friendly materials. Soft materials usually feature exterior pockets and are more lightweight, while hard shells are scratch-resistant and can offer a durable structure.
If you are prone to anxious travels (who isn’t?), purchasing luggage with a lock might instill a sense of security and calmness about your upcoming trip. Not all luggage sets have a lock included, but some do! This might not be top of mind when it comes to luggage for little ones, but is a feature that could be both beneficial to keep both airline employees and kids out of the bag, or conversely cumbersome if your kiddo needs access to a locked bag.