Contigo is probably the first brand that comes to mind when you think of tumblers or travel mugs, and for good reason.
The West Loop model keeps your drink hot for five hours or cold for 12. This means your early morning coffee can turn into your mid-morning coffee without reheating your cup or brewing another pot. As a quick note, it is recommended to let you drink cool for at least 3 minutes before attaching the lid to avoid any burning hazards.
We’re also a fan of the auto-seal technology that helps prevent spills or leaks, because who has time to clean up a coffee or tea stain while out and about?
We do advise you thoroughly read and adhere to the instruction manual for optimal use as the unique lid can have a bit of a learning curve.
- Leak- and spill-proof thanks to patented auto-seal technology
- Thermalock vacuum insulation
- 16-, 20-, and 24-ounce options
- Dishwasher-safe lid, hand wash body
- Variety of colors and finishes
- Brand: Contigo
- Dimensions: 2.8 x 3.5 x 10.4 inches; 13.8 ounces
- Trusted, tried-and-true brand
- Easy-to-clean lid
- Keeps drink the temperature you want them to be
- Body must be hand washed
Zojirushi’s travel mug is slim enough to fit comfortably in most cup holders, yet tall enough to hold even the most serious caffeine addict’s morning brew.
The flip-open lid has a 2-step process to prevent excess moisture on the stopper from splashing you when it opens. An air vent aids in a smooth flow, while a safety lock helps prevent accidental opening. The lid design also aids in keeping beverages temperature controlled for hours.
For a simple, sleek design that is click-flip-sip ready, Zojirushi’s travel mug delivers.
- Made of BPA-free plastic and stainless steel
- Five-year warranty for heat retention issues
- Available in a variety colors
- 12-, 16-, 20-ounce sizes
- Hand wash only
- Brand: Zojirushi
- Dimensions: 2.9 x 2.6 x 9.9 inches; 8 ounces
- Sleek and modern design
- Slim build that’s easy to hold and store
- Wide mouth opening allows for mug-like drinking, meaning more aroma to enhance your coffee-drinking experience
- The warranty only applies to heat-retention troubles
This Thermos brand tumbler lives up to its name, keeping hot drinks hot for 6 hours and cold drinks cold for 14 thanks to the vacuum-insulation technology. The simple push open/closed lid means quick access to your beverage, but also can make the product more susceptible to spills.
Tea lovers will appreciate that the lid includes a built-in tea hook to hold tea bags or loose leaf infusers in place!
You can wash the thermos on the top rack of your dishwasher, but the manufacturer suggests washing it by hand with warm soapy water to preserve its appearance and thoroughly clean the lid.
- Drink-lock sealing lid
- Available in 8 colors
- Stainless steel interior and exterior
- Vacuum-insulation technology
- Brand: Thermos
- Manufacturer: Firemall LLC
- Dimensions: 3.3 x 3.3 x 7.8 inches; 11.2 ounces
- Built-in tea hook
- Superior heat retention
- Easy-to-drink lid
- Not as spill-proof as other models
- Only available in a 16-ounce size
Juro’s tumbler has a fully transparent lid and a sleek matte black body that looks similar to Yeti without the price tag.
The tumbler will keep drinks hot for 6 hours or cold for 12 hours. Double-walled insulation is the reason for the incredible temperature control Juro’s tumbler has.
We’re a big fan of the options of two different lids -- a classic slider that allows for easy drinking or the flip lid that aids in spill prevention. The bonus metal straw is not only great for the environment, but makes this tumbler perfect for enjoying cold beverages as well as your morning coffee or tea. Be sure to bring this tumbler on your next all-inclusive, ensuring your beachside piña colada stays nice and cold as you bask in the sun.
- Made of stainless steel
- BPA-free plastic lid
- Dishwasher safe
- Comes with steel straw and brush plus two lids
- 20-ounce mug
- Lifetime warranty
- Brand: Juro
- Dimensions: 3.8 x 3.8 x 8.5 inches; 12 ounces
- Affordable and functional
- 2 lid options and a bonus straw
- Not known for being completely spill-proof
- Only available in black
Trgowaul’s mug is a must-have for travelers who pack light.
The mug stands at just over 6’’ tall, but it can collapse to 2.16’’ for convenient storage. It comes with a sturdy clip that you can attach to your hiking bag, purse, or carry-on with no problem.
Featuring BPA-free silicone with a plastic lid, the strong but flexible material is easy to clean, but don’t expect it to keep your drink as hot as long as stainless-steel options. An anti-scald ring ensures comfortable handling, even with boiling hot beverages.
We love that this model comes in a set, perfect to share with a loved one or keep handy for a backup.
- Two silicone collapsible cups
- Anti-scald ring
- Hook to attach to a backpack
- Dishwasher safe
- Brand: Trgowaul
- Weight: 13.6 ounces
- Collapses to 2.16 inches tall
- Extremely portable and travel-friendly
- Easy to clean
- Not spill-proof
- Won’t keep beverages hot or cold for extended periods of time
Wazzala’s attractive travel mug has a handcrafted bamboo exterior and stainless steel interior. The BPA-free lid features a snap lip to help prevent leaks but also aids in easy opening and enjoying!
The 14- or 15-ounce size is comfortable to hold and works well with most cup holders. A thin pad on the base ensures it won’t slide around or scratch furniture.
As a fun bonus, the mug also comes with an adorable green silicone tea diffuser that will delight the people who enjoy a soothing cup of tea.
- 14- or 15-ounce sizes
- Comes with a cute green silicone tea diffuser
- BPA-, phthalate-, PVC-, lead-, and cadmium-free
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
- Brand: Wazzala
- Dimensions: 3.3 x 3.3 x 7 inches; 8 ounces
- Aesthetically-pleasing bamboo exterior
- Comes with a tea diffuser
- Easy-to-use lid
- Lacks vacuum-insulation technology to keep temperature stable for extended periods
- Not spill-proof like other models
Vacuum insulation is the latest and greatest technology for tumbler cups and travel mugs. Though the name might seem confusing, don’t let the daunting terminology intimidate you.
Vacuum-insulation cups and mugs consist of a double-wall design. There are an outer wall and an inner wall that sandwich a layer of airtight space between them. That space -- the vacuum, if you will -- is a crucial part of what keeps hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold.
Double-walled vacuum-insulated cups tend to cost more money, but they truly do retain temperature like no other. Especially since you’ll be using your mug on long days out and about, these mugs will provide you the assurance that, no matter what, your drink is exactly the temperature you want it for as long as possible.
Cleaning And Maintenance
Cleaning your travel tumbler cup won’t be as carefree as cleaning your mugs at home. This is partially due to the material used for the mugs.
Frequently, tumbler mugs are made of stainless steel, which requires some upkeep. To preserve the integrity of the stainless steel, it’s best to hand wash, even if the mug specifies that you can throw it in the dishwasher. By hand washing, you’re investing in the long-term use of the mug.
The best way to hand wash your travel tumbler is with warm soapy water. Abrasive cleaning chemicals like bleach can cause stainless steel to peel, so it’s probably best to avoid anything but basic cleaning ingredients. Then, use a brush to thoroughly scrub the interior of the mug and the lid to remove sticky coffee or tea residue.
Let the mug soak in the water for a few minutes before letting it air dry. It’s suggested that you wash your mug as soon as possible after each use to ensure that drink residue doesn’t coat the interior of the mug and leave a smell or unsavory aftertaste.
Tumbler cup lid maintenance is a bit different. Most spill-proof lids require a bit of jimmying to disassemble, but to maintain a clean mug and prevent the growth of bacteria or mold, it’s necessary to do the work to break down your lid and clean it thoroughly.
Thankfully, most lids aren’t as sensitive as the interior of the body of the mug, so they’re usually dishwasher safe!